2017-10-12 / News Briefs

In brief

Household hazardous waste collection

FLINT — A county-wide Recycle Day collection event for hard-to-recycle items such as household hazardous waste, electronics, tires, and appliances will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21, at Bentley High School and the Flint East Water Service Center. This is the last collection event of the year.

Recycle Day staff will be available to assist attendees in navigating through the event site and to unload items from vehicles. Event organizers are requesting that attendees enter the Bentley High School site from northbound Belsay Road (from I-69), or enter the Flint East Water Service Center site from eastbound Court Street (from Dort Highway).

“Many of the hard-to-recycle items that will be accepted at this event are also harmful to our environment. This event provides a free and convenient way for residents to responsibly recycle them,” says Derek Bradshaw, director coordinator of the Genesee County Metropolitan Planning Commission.

In 2016, approximately 4,700 residents attended Genesee County Recycle Day events and over 465,000 pounds of waste was collected. For more information about the event, please contact the Genesee County Recycle Hotline at (810) 762-7744, email Recycle@co.genesee.mi.us, or visit www.gcmpc.org/environmental.

Coats for Kids registration set

FLINT — Genesee County families who need assistance with toys, coats and food to ensure a blessed Christmas holiday for their children can apply for The Salvation Army’s 2017 Christmas Assistance program.

Sign-up will be held at the Flint Citadel Corps in downtown Flint. Hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26, and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, Oct. 27.

The Salvation Army’s Christmas Assistance program is intended to help Genesee County residents who would otherwise be unable to celebrate Christmas. Children older than 14 years of age are not eligible for toys. Families may apply to only one agency for Christmas Assistance. To sign up, the following documents are required: Michigan I.D. and Social Security Cards for all adults in the household; proof of dependents in the home (birth certificates and Social Security cards) and proof of legal guardianship, if applicable; current bills with the name and address of the individual applying for assistance; proof of income for the last 30 days. — L.R.

Return to top

Copyright © 2009-2018 Grand Blanc View, All Rights Reserved

Click here for digital edition
2017-10-12 digital edition